Admissions at Thomas More College
Home > Student Life > Residence Life > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

New Residency Requirement

Beginning in August 2015, all students who have earned less than 60 credit hours will be required to live on campus and participate in a meal plan program. This applies to our current resident population as well as to the new incoming class.

All freshman and sophomore students (or students under 60 credit hours) should plan to live on campus; however, we do understand there may be unique circumstances warranting special consideration for exemption from this requirement.

Students who live at home with their parents/legal guardians in their primary residence in one of the following counties could qualify to be exempt: 

  • Kentucky: Boone, Campbell, Gallatin, Grant, Kenton, Pendleton
  • Ohio: Hamilton, Clermont
  • Indiana: Dearborn, Ohio

In addition, the following conditions could qualify a student to be exempt:

  • 21 years of age or older
  • Married
  • Parent with custodial responsibilities
  • Part-time student (taking less than 9 credit hours a semester)
  • Extenuating health and medical circumstances

If you would like to be considered for an exemption based on these criteria, please complete a Housing Exemption Form and submit it to the Department of Student Affairs no later than August 15, 2015. 

When is the deadline for submitting my housing application?
The deadline for submitting an application is August 1st. If this date has passed, please call 859-344-3572 to see if you application can still be accepted.

Am I required to live on campus? What are the benefits to living on campus?
You are not required to live on campus, but we encourage it. Living on campus has been proven to be a beneficial experience. Living on campus can give you a stronger sense of community and makes it easier to make connections with people with your interests. In addition, living on campus means you will not have to commute and there is usually something going on.

Is there internet access?
Each room is equipped with an internet connection. Ackerman Hall, Marian Hall and Howard Hall provide one connection per residence hall room. Murphy Hall provides two connections per bedroom. Each building has wireless connections available.

Are the halls safe and secure?
We have a campus safety office that is here to ensure the safety and security of all TMC students. In order to enter a residence hall you must swipe your college ID. Only residents living in that building have access. There are security cameras on all doors of the residence halls to provide extra safety. We have staff members at the desk of the halls during the late evening until morning hours.

Residents play a large part in the safety and security of the halls. It is imperative that residents make sure their doors are locked when they are in or out of their rooms. Following the guest policy is another way to help with safety and security. All guest(s) must be checked in and escorted by their host at all times.

Where do I do laundry?
There are laundry facilities in each building. There is no cost to the resident to use the facility.

Do I have to clean my own room? Bathroom?
It is the resident's responsibility to clean their own rooms. In Howard, Marian, and Ackerman, there is a staff member that helps to keep the restroom clean and replenished. The residents assist with this by cleaning after themselves and utilizing the trash cans appropriately. In Murphy Hall the residents are solely responsible for the cleanliness of their restroom. Inspections of the Murphy bathrooms will be made once a month during smoke detector checks to ensure that all bathrooms are being properly maintained.

Can I have overnight guests?
Residents may have overnight guest of the same sex. They must register their overnight guest with the staff member on duty by 10:30pm. No one under the age of 16 is permitted to stay overnight without prior approval from the RLC. No guest may stay overnight more than 5 nights in 1 calendar month or more than 3 nights consecutively. There may be no overnight guest without the approval of all roommates.

Room Selection
Upper-class resident students have the opportunity to sign-up for campus housing in March of each year. Students are asked to complete a Housing Sign-up Form giving their first and second preference of building, and roommates for the next year. Assignments for returning students are completed and available during the first week of April. Transfer students or freshmen requested by upperclassmen as their roommate preference will assigned to a waiting list as current residents will have first priority.

New students or those that have not lived in the halls the previous semester may apply for housing at any time during the year. Applications are available from the Admissions Office or Residence Life Office. Once the application and room reservation deposit are received, a letter will be sent confirming receipt of the request. Applications are held on file in the order received and assignments for new students are completed in early June for the fall semester. Students can submit a roommate preference or provide information to the Residence Life Office to aid them in making roommate assignments.

Every attempt will be made to accommodate housing and roommate requests. The College reserves the right to make assignments, approve room change requests or require students to move to a different room if needed to achieve a more effective residence hall community.

Room cancelations for the fall semester should be done by June 1st and for the spring semester by December 1st. Room cancelations after the first day of class are pro-rated at the following rate: 100% during 1st week, 75% during 2nd week, 50% during 3rd week, and 25% during 4th week.

Can I pick my roommate?
Roommate requests are honored whenever possible. Each applicant must request the other person(s) on their housing application.

When will I find out my room & roommate assignment?
Room assignments for the upcoming year are initially mailed out in June. Thereafter, assignment letters are mailed out as soon as assignments are made.

If your room is assigned before your roommate(s) are assigned, you will receive a notification (email or by phone) when your roommate assignment has been made. You will also receive a notification if any other changes become necessary.

What if I don't get along with my roommate(s)? Can I change rooms?
Hopefully you won't encounter this situation. Roommate relationships can be successful if you keep an open mind and are optimistic. Most roommate relationships evolve successfully over time, especially when roommates show respect and good communication directly and honestly.

If you are experiencing irresolvable roommate conflicts with your roommate, see your RA. The RA will sit down with all parties involved for a mediation session. The RA will assist the roommates in completing a roommate agreement for issues that have arrived and may arrive in the future. This agreement is recognized as a binding document.

The short answer is 'yes', but room changes are usually a last resort measure. There is a room change period that all residents must adhere to.

Disability Policy
Statement of Philosophy
Thomas More College is committed to the accommodation of students with disabilities which reside within its residence hall system. Every possible step will be taken to meet the needs of any student with a disability as outlined in KRS 344.010 that is made known to the institution.

Policies and Procedures
Any resident having a disability requiring special consideration, set-up, or safety needs should report the need to the Residence Life Office on their housing application or directly by phone, in person or via e-mail. A note from the primary physician outlining the disability and the needed accommodations should be sent to the Residence Life Office before the start of the school year. This record will be kept in the Residence Life Office and a new form will be needed each year lived on campus.

The Residence Life Office will facilitate all possible housing accommodation requests including: room set-up, occupancy requests, permission to possess guide dogs, special equipment and other requests as made. The Residence Life Office will consult with the Department of Academic Support Services and the Dean of Students in making housing accommodations. Any student not satisfied with the response from the Residence Life Office may appeal the decision by following the appeals process located in the Student Handbook.

The Office of Residence will notify housing staff and the Department of Campus Safety of all reported residents needing assistance in the event of an emergency. During the hall opening meeting each semester, residents can notify the Residence Life Office of the type of assistance needed.