Process and Procedures Checklist
- Completion of a bachelor's degree with a certifiable major
- Application for the Master of Arts in Teaching Program for Alternative Certification
- Personal Statement Essay (300-500 words typed) which includes:
- a) A brief autobiography, and
- b) A description of life and work experiences related to the planned certification area which demonstrates knowledge of and experiences with issues facing today's schools (use the Kentucky and Thomas More Teacher Standards, found in the application packet, as a guide). Be sure to integrate the 4 C's (critical thinking, communication, creativity, and collaboration).
- Sealed, official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work completed. These must be sent directly to Thomas More from the college or university. Content area faculty will assist in the transcript review process. Requests for transfer of credits from other institutions will be reviewed on an individual basis.
- All pre-requisite coursework completed.
- Undergraduate and Content GPA of 2.75 or higher. Candidates must submit either the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (CASE) Exams: Reading (#5712, min. score of 156), Writing (#5722, min. score of 162), and Mathematics (#5732, min. score of 150) OR successful completion of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE): Verbal (150), Quantitative (143), and Analytical (4.0). Scores must be on file in the MAT Office prior to admission.
- Professional Resume
- Students enrolled in Option 6 must complete the CA-TP Form in cooperation with their school district and TMC â€“ MAT Program. These forms are available in the MAT Office.
- Two recommendation forms: one from a school principal if currently teaching; a current or previous supervisor; and/or a non-family member who can attest to the candidate's potential for success as a teacher (Dispositions Assessment).
- PRAXIS II Content Area Exam Score Report
- Students enrolled in the MAT Program must complete the PRAXIS II Content Area Exam with an acceptable score before acquiring full admission status.
- Kentucky Criminal Records Check
- Signed copy of the Kentucky School Personnel Code of Ethics included in the application packet.
- Signed copy of the Character & Fitness Form included in the application packet.
Admission to Degree Candidacy
- Completed degree candidacy application form.
- Minimum of 3.00 GPA and no incomplete grades.
- Dispositions Assessment.
- Successful completion of all coursework as listed on Curriculum Contract.
- Minimum GPA of 3.00 with no grade less than C.
- Successful completion of Professional Portfolio based on KY Teacher Standards.
- Dispositions Assessment.
- Passing score on the appropriate PRAXIS Principles of Learning and Teaching Test before enrolling in last MAT course.
- Application for graduation approved by the Education Faculty and the Registrar.
- Completion of Exit Interview that includes completion of forms required for initial certification.