Process and Procedures Checklist
- Completion of a bachelor's degree with a certifiable major
- Application for the Master of Arts in Teaching Program for Alternative Certification
- Personal Statement Essay (300-500 words typed) which includes:
- a) A brief autobiography, and
- b) A description of life and work experiences related to the planned certification area which demonstrates knowledge of and experiences with issues facing today's schools (may use the Kentucky and Thomas More Teacher Standards, found in the application packet, as a guide). Be sure to integrate the 4 C's (critical thinking, communication, creativity, and collaboration).
- Human Relations Incident: a reflective description of teaching or other experience with young people that had special meaning from a human relations standpoint. Be sure to integrate the 4 C's (critical thinking, communication, creativity, and collaboration).
- Sealed, official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work completed.
These must be sent directly to Thomas More from the college or university. Content area faculty will assist in transcript review to determine if additional undergraduate coursework is needed prior to admission to the program. Requests for transfer of credits from other institutions will be reviewed on an individual basis. Ordinarily 12 credit hours is the maximum number of hours accepted to transfer.
- Undergraduate and Content GPA of 2.75 or higher. Candidates must submit either the Pre-Professional Skills Test (PPST) in Mathematics (0730, min. score of 174), or Computerized PPST Mathematics (5730, min. score of 174) and PPST Reading (0710, min. score of 176), Computerized PPST Reading (5710, min. score of 174), and PPST Writing (0720, min. score of 174), or Computerized Writing (5720, min. score of 174). OR successful completion of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) with a minimum score of Verbal (450), Quantitative (490), and Analytical (4.0), if the GRE was completed prior to 08/2011. After 08/2011 the following scores must be met: Verbal (150), Quantitative (143), and Analytical (4.0). Scores must be on file in the MAT Office prior to admission.
- Professional Resume
- Students enrolled in Track I must complete the TC-TP Form in cooperation with their school district human relations officer and the MAT Coordinator. These forms are available in the MAT Office. The state-approved form must be on file with the District Office (original) and the MAT Office (copy). This serves to verify that the MAT student is enrolled in a program for alternative certification.
- Two recommendation forms (included in the application packet): one from a school principal if currently teaching; a current or previous supervisor; and/or a non-family member who can attest to the candidate's potential for success as a teacher (Dispositions Assessment).
- PRAXIS II Content Area Exam Score Report
- Students enrolled in the MAT Program must complete the PRAXIS II Content Area Exam with an acceptable score before acquiring admission.
- Kentucky Criminal Records Check submitted to MAT Office
- Signed copy of the Kentucky School Personnel Code of Ethics included in the application packet
- Signed copy of the Character Fitness Form
- Completed Professional and Personal Self-Assessment Dispositions Form
- Interview with Alternative Certification Admissions Committee.
- Approval by Alternative Certification Admissions Committee with Full Admit Status (meets all admissions requirements) or Pre-Admit Status (if Track I, includes jump start class in classroom management and discipline; allows students in both tracks to begin MAT classes while enrolled in a required undergraduate class; and any other necessary special circumstances requiring consideration). The Alternative Certification Admissions Committee reviews all applications. Any issues that cannot be addressed by this committee will be referred to the Graduate Admissions Committee.
Admission to Degree Candidacy
- Completed degree candidacy application form.
- Minimum of 3.00 GPA and no incomplete grades.
- Dispositions Assessment.
- Successful completion of all coursework as listed on Curriculum Contract.
- Minimum GPA of 3.00 with no grade less than C.
- Successful completion of Professional Portfolio based on KY Teacher Standards.
- Dispositions Assessment.
- Passing score on the appropriate PRAXIS Principles of Learning and Teaching Test before enrolling in last MAT course.
- Application for graduation approved by the Education Faculty and the Registrar.
- Completion of Exit Interview that includes completion of forms required for initial certification.