Coordinator of Math/Physics Tutor Center
|To Apply:||Send resume and cover letter to ChristJ@ThomasMore.edu|
|Contact:||Joe Christensen, Department Chair
This position requires about 20 hours per week,15-17 of which will be in the Tutor Center available for walk-in tutoring requests. There are also some administrative duties, outlined below. The position begins 18 August, 2014 and runs from early-August to mid-May, following the Thomas More academic year.
Skills/Qualifications: Effective communication skills; enthusiasm, patience, and compassion; familiarity with the TI-graphing calculator series (including statistical functions); a minimum of a BS or BA in mathematics, physics, or engineering, with preference for additional advanced course work and teaching or tutoring experience.
Coordinator Job Duties:
- Tutor undergraduate students who are enrolled in a Thomas More math or physics class.
- Provide a welcoming environment and friendly atmosphere to students and faculty members.
- Advertise Tutor Center availability.
- Coordinate tutoring services with course-instructor needs.
- Maintain communication with the Office of Student Services Tutor Coordinator.
- Supervise quality of service.
- Recruit and hire student workers, with approval of the Department Chair.
- Train student tutors in preparation for typical student issues.
- Schedule tutors to cover a variety of topics (listed below) with broad availability.
- Use and model effective tutoring techniques.
- Be available to tutor Introductory Statistics, as well as a subset of topics listed below.
- Submit annual written report to the Department Chair.
- Occasional verbal updates with issues and successes.
- Track statistics of Tutor Center use.
- Optional Opportunity: Teach one or two courses per academic year.
Common Courses Requiring Tutoring:
- Required Skills: Introductory Statistics, pre-Calculus (Algebra with Trigonometry), Calculus (differential, integral, and multi-variable), excellent abilities with Algebra
- Desired Skills: Differential Equations, Linear Programming, Math for Elementary Teachers
- Beneficial Skills: Linear Algebra, Euclidean Geometry, simple Combinatorics, Introductory Physics, Game Theory
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. To Apply: Submit cover letter, undergraduate (and graduate if applicable) transcripts, resume, and the names and contact information of three references to Joe Christensen, Chair of the Department of Mathematics and Physics, Thomas More College, 333 Thomas More Parkway, Crestview Hills, KY 41017. You may also submit electronic versions to same at ChristJ@ThomasMore.edu