Gloria Barron Prize for Young Heroes
Deadline: April 30, 2013
- Nominees must be no younger than eight and no older than 18 years on the nomination deadline.
- Nominees must be nominated as individuals. The Barron Prize cannot accept nominations for groups of young people.
- Nominees must have clearly demonstrated positive spirit, courage, intelligence, generosity, and high moral purpose.
- Nominees must have shown initiative, tenacity, and unselfishness in pursuit of their goals.
- Nominees must be nominated by an adult who is familiar with the young person's service activity (teacher or librarian, school counselor, youth service official, religious leader, or the like). Members of the young person's family may not submit nominations nor letters of reference.
- Nominees must have organized and led a truly extraordinary service activity which has clearly benefited other people, our fellow creatures, or the planet we share.
- The nominee's service activity must have been initiated and motivated primarily by the winner himself or herself. While outside help may have been obtained, the activity must be primarily the nominee's own creation.
- The service activity cannot have been done solely to complete an assignment for school or work.
- Nominees must have accomplished something with inspirational value—something that could inspire others to make a difference.
- Nominees must have done more than survive a difficult personal challenge. Their heroism must have made an impact on the world beyond themselves.
- Nominees may or may not have received any recognition for their heroic work. But fame itself shall not have been a motivating factor.
- Nominees must be legal residents of and currently residing in the U.S.A. or Canada at the time of nomination.
- Nominees must have participated in their heroic work within the 12 months prior to the nomination deadline of April 30.
How To Apply:
A student must be nominated by an adult who is not related to the student. Nomination packets can be downloaded from http://www.barronprize.org/nomination-forms.
Visit http://www.barronprize.org/ for more information.
Award Amount: $2,500