TSI Summer STEM Institute
Sunday, July 10, 2016 - Friday, July 15, 2016
STEM Application is closed for 2016
If you have any questions please contact Chris Lorentz at email@example.com
If you are currently a high school freshman, sophomore or junior interested in exploring the STEM disciplines (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math), then Thomas More's Summer Institute could be the experience of a lifetime. For five days and five nights this July, you will live on campus, work alongside college professors and participate in hands-on projects out in the field, on the Ohio River, at the Biology Field Station, at the Observatory and in the classrooms and science labs at Thomas More.
The Institute is a unique opportunity for students to interact with college students and professors, while spending the week learning STEM and conducting research. The up close and personal interactions give participants a real sense of life as a college student and S.T.E.M. major. Up to 40 promising students are accepted into the Summer Institute this year, so apply now to reserve your spot.
Review the 2016 TSI Summer Institute Mentor Bios.
What You'll Do During The STEM Institute
- Work with faculty and students from Thomas More's STEM and Education Departments
- Participate in hands-on research projects
- Assess the health of the Ohio River ecosystem
- Measure water quality by testing chemical parameters
- Observe and photograph celestial objects at the Thomas More Observatory
- Learn mathematical techniques for analyzing digital images taken at the Observatory
- Investigate mathematical applications and techniques
- Make design choices to engineer a bridge
- Explore the physics of disorder
- Present your research project at the closing symposium
- Explore ecological interactions in forests
What you'll gain from the experience
- A real sense of college life
- A stronger STEM background
- A better understanding of STEM topics in the real world
- Contacts with Thomas More faculty and college students
- Friendships with other high school students interested in the STEM areas
- A lot of great memories
What the STEM Institute includes
The cost of the STEM Summer Institute is $500. Financial assistance is available for those in need. Qualified students are eligible for a half or full scholarship to attend the camp ($250-$500 value).
- On-campus housing and meals
- Classroom instruction with Thomas More faculty and undergraduate students from Thomas More College
- Laboratory activities at campus laboratories, the Biology Field Station and the BB&T Observatory
How you'll spend each day
|9:00 a.m.||Morning activities|
|1:00 p.m.||Afternoon activities|
|7:00 p.m.||Evening activities|
Are You Eligible To Participate?
If you will be current high school freshman, sophomore or junior in the Fall of 2016 and are in good academic standing, with at least a 2.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale, then you are eligible.
Space is limited to only 40 qualified students who apply by April 15, 2016. Students from areas that are currently underrepresented in the STEM disciplines will be given priority.
Apply Today (The deadline to apply is Friday, April 15, 2016)
To apply, please complete:
- STEM Summer Institute Application
- The application form and submit it and a letter of recommendation from a teacher or guidance counselor to:
Dr. Chris Lorentz, Professor
Department of Biological Sciences
Thomas More College
333 Thomas More Parkway
Crestview Hills, KY 41017-3495
You will be notified no later than May 13, 2016 whether you have been accepted to attend the Institute. If you have any questions, please call 859-344-3373 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.