TSI Summer STEM Institute
Sunday, July 9, 2017 - Friday, July 14, 2017
The deadline to apply is April 1, 2017.
STEM Application is now open for 2017
Click to apply
If you have any questions please contact Chris Lorentz at email@example.com
If you are currently a high school freshman, sophomore or junior interested in exploring the STEM disciplines (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math), then Thomas More's Summer Institute could be the experience of a lifetime. For five days and five nights this July, you will live at the Field Station, work alongside college professors and participate in hands-on projects out in the field, on the Ohio River, at the Biology Field Station, at the Observatory and in the classrooms and science labs at Thomas More.
The Institute is a unique opportunity for students to interact with college students and professors, while spending the week learning STEM and conducting research. The up close and personal interactions give participants a real sense of life as a college student and S.T.E.M. major. Up to 20 promising students are accepted into the Summer Institute this year, so apply now to reserve your spot.
Review the 2016 TSI Summer Institute Mentor Bios.
What You'll Do During The STEM Institute
- Work with faculty and students from Thomas More's STEM and Education Departments
- Participate in hands-on research projects
- Assess the health of the Ohio River ecosystem
- Measure water quality by testing chemical parameters
- Observe and photograph celestial objects at the Thomas More Observatory
- Learn mathematical techniques for analyzing digital images taken at the Observatory
- Investigate mathematical applications and techniques
- Make design choices to engineer a bridge
- Explore the physics of disorder
- Present your research project at the closing symposium
- Explore ecological interactions in forests
What you'll gain from the experience
- A real sense of college life
- A stronger STEM background
- A better understanding of STEM topics in the real world
- Contacts with Thomas More faculty and college students
- Friendships with other high school students interested in the STEM areas
- A lot of great memories
What the STEM Institute includes
The cost of the STEM Summer Institute is $500. Financial assistance is available for those in need. Qualified students are eligible for a half or full scholarship to attend the camp ($250-$500 value).
- On-campus housing and meals
- Classroom instruction with Thomas More faculty and undergraduate students from Thomas More College
- Laboratory activities at campus laboratories, the Biology Field Station and the BB&T Observatory
How you'll spend each day
|9:00 a.m.||Morning activities|
|1:00 p.m.||Afternoon activities|
|7:00 p.m.||Evening activities|
Are You Eligible To Participate?
If you will be current high school freshman, sophomore or junior in the Fall of 2017 and are in good academic standing, with at least a 2.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale, then you are eligible.
You will be notified no later than May 1, 2017 whether you have been accepted to attend the Institute. If you have any questions, please call 859-344-3373 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.