The Thomas More College Biology Field Station was the former site of Lock and Dam 35, one of 51 such facilities built by the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers in the early 20th century. Land for the complex was obtained by the federal government from several sources beginning in the 1910's. A total of 12.73 acres were purchased originally for 3030.00. The construction on 35 was begun in 1914 and completed in the 1920's. The initial complex included a chanoine weir wicket dam with rolling lock gates, a lockhouse (or power house), warehouse and four worker's cottages. Three additional cottages, a boiler garage, and storage shed were added later.
The College acquired the 50-acre site in 1967 from the federal government and has been using the facility for research and educational purposes. In 1997, through a grant from the James Graham Brown Foundation, the Field Station underwent a major renovation project and now includes a state-of-the-art research facility, with two laboratories, a museum and a classroom. In addition, the site contains seven residential structures, a maintenance building, a nature trail and a fleet of research boats.
In 1998, the Center for Ohio River Research and Education (C.O.R.R.E.) was established. The Center offers students, faculty and staff an opportunity to enhance their knowledge of the natural world through field courses, research projects and outreach programs that focus on the ecology of the Ohio River. The Center welcomes students of all ages from grade schools to graduate schools and visitors from the general public. The Center functions within the Biology Department at Thomas More College and works towards providing advancing the academic careers of our undergraduate students with a focus on advancement towards graduate programs.